Sunday, April 18, 2010

How rambling leads to Gender Issues

So this is my first post on my Journal. Of course I am writing when I should be either asleep or doing homework, but for some reason I just can't seem to make myself turn off the computer and lay down. I am doing my usual thing of playing on youtube, and I am listening to MLK's "I Have A Dream Speech". He is just getting to the most memorable moments, and it has me thinking of how far we have actually come. I like to agree with most people who see such progress over the last forty years, but for some reason all that I can focus on are the horrible stereotypes that I see everyday, and the pure love of the Confederacy that exists on this campus. "Free at last" he just said, those words molded an entire generation. Are they really? Sure I suppose so, but there is so much hate and bigotry in this horrible country that is increasing. Women and Blacks and Hispanics are being treated as second rate citizens by the frightened white culture that doesn't know what they are going to do to stop the "insurgants" of their culture. They are scared that the America that they know is going to be destroyed by these invading cultures: the latinamerican and ghetto scene are seen as similar evils in the wihte man's eye, but it is clear that the feminist movement is what many are the most terrified of. Anytime a woman gets any power she scolded as being a bitch, or stupid, or petty by the opposing view point. This can be seen with Hillary Clinton, Nancy Pelosi, and Sarah Palin. All three of these women represent a form of progress for an egalitarian society (although Palin's political views counteract the progress that her status should claim). I believe whole heartedly that while America has had a history of clashes over race, Gender is the next big hurdle that must be overcome. Not only Male and Female, because that is the main problem with our current gender construction. The dichotomy of Male and Female is such an enormous problem that must be fixed before any progress can be made. No matter what it is that Americans have, there will always need to be sweeping generalizations and vague titles given to topics that cannot be truly explained by the topic at hand, but to solve the Gender problem in America I believe that there should be no less than 5 Genders instated. Common Male, Femine Male, Common Female, Masculine Female, and then a neutral for both physical sexes. These genders would not effect sexual orientation, and would in theory have better terms, and while this does not solve the problem of Gender animosity, it could certainly help.

No comments:

Post a Comment